Friday, February 5, 2010

Re-Entry:Life back in the USA


I am reminded of the song that has the words, "I will never be the same again". This trip has profoundly changed my life. My priorities have changed. As I reflect on the 2 weeks I spent in Kenya, I realize that I have been challenged to live my life in a new and different way. Before going on this trip, my focus was on doing my job well as Economic Development Director and County Administrator in Grant County, West Virginia. Cooking and serving guests at our Country Inn was how I relaxed and unwound from a busy day at the office. After spending time in Kenya serving students at Africa International University, I realized that my heart and passion lies with those making big sacrifices to bring Christianity and hope to the marginalized and the people struggling for survival. I am encouraged by the challenge to help raise $10,000,000.00 to help African International University (formerly NEGST and ISAR) become the "world class" African School with Africa on its Heart. You can be involved with helping educate the future leaders of the Christian Churches in Africa by sending your tax deductible contribution to http://www.clafrica.com/.

While in Kenya, we were able to meet with and visit ministries where average people like you and me are committed to making a positive difference in the lives of those in Africa. One of the most compelling presentations I heard was from Dr. Amy Sherman who lives nearby in Charlottesville, VA. She serves as a Senior Fellow for both the Sagamore Institute and International Justice Mission (IJM). Her organizations seek to bring justice to many of the 27 million people in the world that are slaves. In Africa, 1 in 5 families, are victims of illegal land seizures. They are also helping to free some of the 2 million people involved in the global sex trade.

In Luke 4, Jesus talks about His 3 top priorities. Alienation-Evangelism, Deprivation-Compassion, Oppression-Justice are these areas of focus in this passage. The modern Evangelical Church has been very active in the first two, but where is the Church in the area of oppression and justice? IJM Kenya works to raise awareness and mobilize a response to these issues through churches and other community organizations. You can learn more about there mission at http://www.ijm.org/.

Another organization we were introduced to is the Hope and Restoration Center (HARC). They are a Christian based ministry that reaches out to Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) in Raila village in the Kibera slums of Nairobi (the largest slum in Africa) where access to food, water, housing, medical care and other basic necessities are an every day challenge. In the midst of all this, orphaned and vulnerable children are being raised by single parents, widows, and grandparents-most of whom are infected by HIV. You can come along side them as they provide prayer, feeding and counselling, empowerment, and a halfway house. You can e-mail them at hrcentre@yahoo.com.

There are several other Social Justice Ministries that are part of the Outreach of Nairobi Chapel and their sister churches. Here are a few of these ministry efforts started by average people like you and me. I would encourage you to research these and help where you feel led by God.

Cheryl's Children Home-www.cherylshome.net
Tumaini Kwa Watoto (Children of Hope)-www.kenyachildrenofhope.org
Tulip-www.tulip-ministry.com
Beacon of Hope-www.beaconafrica.org
Tumaini Clinics-Internships
Logos Christian School and K-Krew

You can learn about these ministries and more by going to http://www.nairobichapel.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment