Thursday, January 7, 2010

We are just a week away, excitement rises...












This is the front porch view of Smoke Hole Canyon at our North Fork Mountain Inn in West Virginia.

It is Thursday and this mornings weather reports warns of another snow storm. Boy am I ever looking forward to heading to a warmer climate. It is hard to focus on the work that has to be done before I leave as I catch myself dreaming of the white sand beaches and warm sunshine in Mombasa, Kenya.
Carol and I have become good friends with David and Patience Waweru. We are leaving next Wednesday so we can spend a few days relaxing with them in Mombasa before we meet the rest of the team when they arrive on Sunday evening. We are very excited to meet their new daughter, Shana. She is 6 months old and a very beautiful girl. Carol and my daughter Danielle skyped them last week and was able to chat with them. I was a bit jealous as I missed it as I was at work.
This is our fourth trip to Kenya and we are looking forward to serving at NEGST. One of the great benefits of a return short term mission trip is that you get to renew and reinvigorate friendships you made on previous trips. Since I serve on the Board of Directors for Christian Leaders for Africa, it is always rewarding to go and see how the money we raise for student scholarships and faculty endowments are making a real difference there. Last year was the 25th anniversary of NEGST and it is exciting to see them transitioning to a larger institution as they become African International University.
The purpose of this blog post was to share my "life story or bio" so here is the "reader's digest" version of my life. I was born in Fort Scott, Kansas and was raised on a dairy farm. I was the oldest of 4 children. Growing up I was active in 4-H and FFA. We raised Registered Holsteins and milked as many as 100 cows sometimes 3 times a day. We enjoyed judging and showing our dairy cows and was the Kansas Star Dairy Farmer my senior year in High School in FFA.
I went to Fort Scott Community College and received my associates degree. After graduating, I continued to help on the dairy farm and started my first job selling livestock feed for MoorMans Feed Company. After several years, I started waiting tables and cooking in restaurants and found that I really enjoyed serving others. I also like to travel so over the next 3 years I lived in Peoria, Illinois, Modesto, California, Prescott, Arizona, and then moved back to Peoria, Illinois where my daughter was born. I almost forgot, I got married during that time also. Danielle, was born 6 weeks premature, so I would work evenings in the lab at Libby's Pumpkin factory in Morton, Illinois and visit with her in the ICU for the next 6 weeks until she was ready to come home.
Joel was born two years later just before we moved to Denver, Colorado where I planned to continue my career as a wine consultant. Raising two children, at times as a single parent, was both rewarding and challenging. Getting a divorce was one of the most painful experiences in my life. But God was faithful in bringing Carol into my life 10 years later and we have been happily married for most of the last 11 years.
Carol retired from Verizon in July 2006 and we were able to realize a dream by buying a B & B in West Virginia. Ed was able to relocate with Qwest and continue his telecom career managing the Government and Education Business Units for the Mid-Atlantic States. But earlier last year in April, he found out that he, like a lot of people with good jobs, were laid off. This was probably a blessing in disguise because Carol needed Ed's help with a "honey do" list about a mile long.

Up to this time, Ed spent most of his free time cooking at the Inn and sharing with guests his passion for food and wine. As a Master Sommilier, he was able to help guests increase their wine appreciation and as a chef, their appreciation for fine dining in our "outpost of luxury in the wilderness". But Carol's extra duties made his new job seem a lot like "life on the farm". Long days, hard work, and seven days a week. After a couple months, he decided he needed to get a job, so he could focus on the parts of Inn Keeping that he enjoyed most.
Timing was right as an opening for Grant County Economic Development Director became available as well as County Administrator. Since he wanted the development job, he agreed to do both jobs for the price of one. So now, he keeps busy with county business, but has been able to transfer his previous work experience into making a difference in Grant County where we live.

One of the highlights this year was being chosen to represent West Virginia in the Great American Seafood Cook-Off in New Orleans. Ed was able to take Danielle as his sous chef and they both were surprised to win 4th place. They were competing with the Top 15 chefs in the US each representing their state. While there he was able to cook and serve a typical cajun meal for a homeless shelter for women and children. After the competition, Ed and Danielle enjoyed the fun and night life of New Orleans.
I am very proud of Danielle and the progress she has made in her life. She is planning to graduate as a Registered Nurse in May and has blessed us with a beautiful 2 year old granddaughter, Olivia. Carol and Ed enjoy spending time with her and Danielle whenever possible.
Joel is married and serving in the Army at Ft. Lewis, near Tacoma, Washington. He gave us our first grandson. We wish our grandchildren lived closer so we could spoil them more often. We were grateful to have all of my children, grandchildren, parents, brother Steve and Carol's sister Nelva join us for a week together at the Inn this past August.
I need to get back to work as I see I have an appointment in 10 minutes. So I look forward to seeing you in Africa and beyond.

ed fischer














ed fischer






1 comment:

  1. Ed, I'm one of the Elders that commissioned the group before they left, and while praying through your blog noticed you worked at Libby's. I grew up in Morton IL where my Grandfather was plant manager for many years. We still go back to the Pumpkin Festival EVERY year. Tell the team I'm continuing to pray for them. Steve Heiniger

    ReplyDelete